This section is dedicated to my Pilot,
Major Harold R. Lagasse who passed on April 17, 1998.
Major Harold Robert Lagasse was my Pilot in the 361st Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Nha Trang AB Vietnam, 1966/67. We were also together on the Ferry Flight, taking I believe, the 6th EC-47 to arrive in Vietnam in September, 1966. He retired a Lt. Colonel.

Date of Birth: July 18th, 1928
Date of Death: April 17th, 1998

Burial Site: Section 18G Site 635, National Cemetary of Arizona 23029 N. Cave Creek Road, Phoenix, AZ 85204.

Rick in 1972 Rick in 1999
Rick Hand

Rick left us on 21 April, 2000.
Rick was a member of Detachment 3, 6994th Security Squadron. Rick served multiple tours in
Vietnam with the EC-47 Mission and worked closely with many folks, I am sure he will be missed
by many.

Rick Hand December 20, 1944 - April 21, 2000.
Resting at Eagle Point National Cemetary in Oregon.

Eulogy by Lt. General James D. 'Jim' Clapper.
One of the characteristics of getting older is that you start to notice more and more of your contemporaries passing. I received the news of the death of Rick Hand this past week-end, from several sources. While I was, of course, saddened to have this news, my first thought was one of gratification that I was able to attend part of the EC-47 reunion in San Antonio last year, and got to re-unite and re-bond with Rick. After recognizing each other (no small accomplishment in itself), we embraced, and seemingly picked up where we'd left off some 29 years earlier, in Det 3 of the '94th, at NKP, Thailand.

I was close with a lot of the guys in the Det, but especially so with Rick. We had met at USAFSS headquarters in '69, where I was then Aide to the Commander of USAFSS, and was in the process of preparing for the assignment as Det 3 CC (my second SEA tour). Rick apparently saw some potential in me as an analyst (AFSC 202), so he helped arrange for me to attend an Army training course for SIGINT analysis in a SEA context, which was run at Two Rock Ranch, near Petaluma, CA. Then, when we both ended up at Det 3, Rick was one of my best ground analysts, and he mentored me so I could fly as an airborne analyst on our missions. Rick and I worked closely together, and became close friends as well. Although we never saw each other again after our tour together, we stayed in touch, at least via Christmas cards, and more or less kept up with each other.

Rick was just one of those people you meet that you don't forget; he was tremendously dedicated to his profession, a patriot through and through; and loyal to his unit and to the mission. I will not forget him. I know all the EC-47 alumni join me in extending our heartfelt condolences to Rick's family. God Bless you, Rick.


Rick's Tour data here.

Ron in 1972 Ron in 1999
Ron Arevalos

Ron left us on 3 May, 2000.
Ron was a member of 6994th Security Squadron.

Ron Arevalos, June 15, 1947 - May 3, 2000.
Resting at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetary,
San Antonio, Texas

Eulogy by Bob Cope.

Senior Master Sergeant Ronald M. Arevalos, US Air Force Retired, passed away suddenly on May 3, 2000. Born in Santa Ana, California, June 15, 1947, the son of Gilbert and Eleanor Arevalos, Ron had distinguished military, academic and civilian careers. Ron served his country with honor around the world for over 25 years. A Korean linguist, he served the Air Force and his country during multiple tours in Okinawa, Viet Nam, Korea, and Greece, and at HQ Electronic Security Command (ESC) at Kelly AFB. Highly decorated, he earned two Distinguished Flying Crosses and 19 Air Medals as a Combat Aircrew member. He was a key member of the ESC Battle Staff during Operations DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM. He earned a Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of Maryland and a Master of Arts from Webster University and served with distinction as a Kraft Foods Human Resources Manager following his retirement from the Air Force in 1994. A loving husband and father, his wife, Sung Cha, and two stepdaughters, Tina and Nina and grandchildren, Jonathan and April, survive him. He is also survived by his brother, Donald, and sisters, JoAn and Sandra. Donations may be made to the charity of your choice.

Sung Cha's home Address is: 10374 Rustic Village San Antonio TX 78245

Ed Then Ed Now
Edmond 'Ed' Goins

Ed left us on 19 May, 2000.
Ed was a member of 6994th Security Squadron.

Edmond 'Ed' Goins, ** - May 19, 2000.
Resting at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetary,
San Antonio, Texas

Ed's Tour data here.

Bob Nourie
Robert B. 'Bob' Nourie

Another of ours gone. Below provided by Bob Burns.

Robert B. Nourie August 1921 - December 26, 2000.

Robert 'Bob' Nourie, left us on 28 December, 2000.
Bob was a member of the 360th TEWS.

San Antonio Express News, Thursday, December 28, 2000:

He was ready to assist anyone at a moment's notice, no questions asked "Happy to help" was the ready reply we all grew to expect from Popo. He helped us sing hopeful songs on dismal days. Bob was born in Kankakee, Ill in August 1921. He moved to a ranch in Uvalde, Texas with his parents as a young boy before settling with them in San Antonio and Olmos Park in the late 1920s. He was a graduate of Central Catholic High School and attended St. Mary's University. For more than 58 years he served his country, community, friends, and family with dedication and loyalty that marked a man for all seasons, for all people, and for all occasions.

Following a 30-year career in the U.S. Air Force, Bob diligently served the people of Hollywood Park as a city councilman, board of adjustments member and as an active participant and past president in the homeowner's association.

During his distinguished Air Force career, he served two combat tours. The first as a young fighter pilot in 37th Fighter Squadron, 14th Fighter Group flying P-38s out of Italy during World War II. Almost 25 years later and grandfather, Bob flew another combat tour in Southeast Asia in the 360th Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron flying EC-47s based in Saigon, RVN.

Other Air Force assignments took him to Amarillo Air Force Base, James Connolly Air Force Base, Hickam Air Base, Vance Air Force Base, and a tour in Canada as an exchange officer with the Royal Canadian Air Force pilot training program. Among his many decorations and awards are two Distinguished Flying Crosses, eight Air Medals, and a commendation medal.

A fellow Airforce patriot offered the following about Bob: "He was a USAF Colonel and his ranks are growing thin, but his life should remind us,we may need him again. Let's give him homage at the ending of his days, just a simple headline that might say, 'our country is in mourning for a patriot died today'."

Bob is survived by his wife Grace, sweethearts since age 16, life partners since age 20; her mother, Mary Lea Swimme; three daughters, Cherie Talbert and her husband Tim; Linda Cardenas and her husband Fito; and Debbie Rooney. There are three grandchildren, Lea Ann Talbert Kee and husband Dr. Jim Kee; Chip Talbert (Denver), and Heather Lea Rooney (Baltimore); plus two great grandchildren, Robbie and Kellie Grace Kee. In addition, a brother, Charles Nourie and wife Mary B. survive him along with numerous nieces. Now we must say farewell to our husband, father , and Popo. May the angels of heaven guide your way.

Pappy Wallander
Now with Ours Gone

"Pappy" Wallander (first PCS commander to the 6994 SS) passed away.

Robert Leroy Wallander, Colonel USAF retired, passed away Thursday, April 5, 2001. He was born on June 20, 1918 and entered military service in 1939. "Pappy" as he was known to family and friends served his country for 32 years, retiring at the rank of Colonel in 1971. After moving to Sequin (Texas), Pappy continued his dedication to public service. He was intrumental in the development of the Christian Free Clinic and eagerly participated in the Honduran Relief Project of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, the Computer Lab for seniors and the Beautification of Sequin project.

From the San Antonio Express-News.
Burial was at Fort Sam Houston with Military Honors

The above was provided by Retired Col. Grover S. McMakin, former commander 6994th SS.

Doug Anderson
Doug Anderson

Doug left us on October 11, 2000. He was a Navigator with the 360th Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Tan Son Nhut.

Staples Minnesota- - Doug Anderson, 68, died Wednesday, Oct. 11, 2000, at his home. He was born August 15, 1932 in Thomastown Township in Wadena County. He attended District No. 4 Country School and graduated from Staples High School in 1950. In 1952 he entered the Air Force and received a Distinguished Flying Cross. He married Pooz Sanco on June 4, 1955, in Staples. He earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Nebraska Omaha and his master's in business administration from the University of Oklahoma where he was a member of Beta Gamma Sigma. He retired from the Air Force as a Colonel in 1975 and moved to Staples Minnesota.

Doug Anderson August 15, 1932 - October 11, 2000.
Resting at the Minnesota State Veterans Cemetary at Camp Ripley.

Information from: Don Line

Anthony 'Nick' Nicolicchia

Information received from Ed Johnson. Ed says after 2 years trying to locate Nick, that he finally got an email from Ed's neice that Nick had passed on some two years ago in New Jersey.

Anthony "Nick" Nicolicchia, who was my roomy at Nha Trang and Phu Cat in '69 and '70, died a couple of years ago in New Jersey. I have been trying and trying to locate Nick and I finally got an email response from a niece and she gave me the news.

Nick was a SSgt and former Flight Mechanic with the 361st Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Nha Trang and a long time friend.

Information from: Ed Johnson

Ed Puzach

Ed left us on October 19th, 2001. Ed was a Flight Mechanic with the 360th Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Tan Son Nhut.

Ed was a resident of Lake Mills, Wisconsin. He was one of the very early EC-47 Crewmembers. Ed was a Flight Mechanic on one of the early (believed to be the 5th) ferry flight crews to take an aircraft from New Hampshire to the 360th Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Tan Son Nhut AB, Vietnam arriving in August, 1966. Ed completed his tour in August, 1967.

Information from: Joan Puzach, January 24th, 2002

MSgt Mike Preslar now among Ours Gone

February 10th, 2002

This information provided by Bob Cope, FTVA via Ed Benningfield.

Regret to announce that MSgt (Ret) Mike Preslar passed on last night in his sleep. Mike spent 1965 at the 6924th at Danang, RVN, then spent about seven years at Tan Son Nhut with the 6994th, flying 721 EC-47 combat missions.
He was also assigned to the 6910th, 6990th, and Wright-Patterson.
Mike was a 1985 FTVA Hall of Honor inductee and had been working for the USPS in Orlando.

Mike will be buried on Wenesday the 12th with Military Honors at the Bushnell National Cemetary.

His wife, Lan, can be reached at:

865 New Hampton Way
Merritt Island FL 32953
(407) 452-1342

Colonel Jack Goolsby, now among Ours Gone

June, 1988

This information provided by his son, John A. Goolsby III.

Dear J.C.,

My Dad passed away in June 1988. He came down with bone cancer in 1987. Of course I was sad to lose my Dad, but found comfort in the fact that he had lived such a full life. We used to deer and bird hunt together a lot, so we had a lot of time to talk about his experiences.

After leaving Vietnam he was stationed at Maxwell AFB for two years. He continued to fly C-47's as part of his assignment with the Civil Air Patrol. His last co-pilot was the late LC Jack Stein of Houston, Texas. At Maxwell he suffered a minor stroke which ended his flying career. At that point he had logged more than 14,000 hours as a pilot. After he quit flying he often remarked that he didn't want to fly anymore. He only rarely flew a commercial airliner after that. He said that he had used up his 9 lives. I remember that he would drive long distances throughout the US by car to avoid flying. After Maxwell he had one more assignment at Rantoul AFB in Illinois. He promoted to O-6 at Rantoul. At Rantoul he was in charge of a training program. He retired in late 1970 and we moved back to Texas.

We lived in Austin for two years and then moved to my parent's hometown, Brownsville, TX. In Brownsville he was employed by the City and a traffic safety coordinator. He did the job pretty well and eventually became County Judge of Cameron County. I think he was at his happiest as County Judge. He managed a long campaign and was elected as a Democrat in county of 600,000 people. I think he fulfilled his dreams in this job. My Grandfather had been the long time sheriff of this county in the 30's and 40's. Both had a clear vision for how to lead and manage the county. Both left the place more prosperous than they found it. Unfortunately, the cancer ended his political career to soon.

Thanks for posting my Dad's obituary on the Our's Gone site. I would love to hear from anyone else that had served with him. I have always appreciated his service to the country. This sacrifice is even more relevant given the task we face now against terrorism and extremists. I believe the US military plays a huge role in worl dwide stability. You certainly did you part. I hope this message finds you well in Arkansas. Thanks again for putting this site together.

All the best,

John A. Goolsby (III) son of Jack

James "Bob" Line
Now with Ours Gone

This information received, March 28th, 2002 from the wife of Bob, via George Montague.

Bob was with the 6994th Security Squadron at Tan Son Nhut in 1967/68. Bob passed away in his sleep on Saturday, March 23rd 2002. He was buried with full Military Honors.

Colonel John Ekwall
Now with Ours Gone

Colonel John Ekwall Retired to Riverside, California in 1994, with his wife, Sandra after serving 27 years in the United States Air Force. He was a prominent influence in the Riverside Community.

All who knew Colonel Ekwall admired him and were inspired by his constant pursuit of excellence. He was acknowledged throughout his live and military career as being a talented pilot, a motivating leader, the "epitome" of a military officer and a compassionate friend.

Colonel Ekwall died April 25th after struggling with a year-long illness. He was 56. Colonel Ekwall was born in San Jose, California and graduated from Bellarmine College Preparatroy School. He graduated from San Jose State University in 1968 and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant. He received his pilot's wings after graduating from pilot training at Webb Air Force Base, Texas, 1969 and was soon off to serve our country in Vietnam where he was affectionately known as "Big John".

He flew a heroic 147 combat missions in the EC-47 Gooney Bird. In 1971, he began to fly the KC-135 tanker in countless combat missions in support of Southeast Asia operations. Colonel Ekwall was awarded numberous medals and was chosen to attend the Naval War College in Newport Rhode Island in 1980 and the Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama in 1988.

John had a personality and demeanor that drew people to him. Early in his career his natural leadership ability caught the attention of his commanding officers and became what the military calls a "fast burner." His career then became a series of command positions where he led his troops in decorated achievement, most notably winning the General Carl A. Spaatz Memorial Air refueling Trophy while he was the commander of the 43rd Air Refueling Squadron at Fairchild AFB, Washington. Because of his leadership, he repeated this achievement as Director of Operations at Malstrom Air Force Base in Montana.

From 1990 to 1992, his military career involved serving as Chief, SAC Battle Staff for Desert Shield/Desert Storm directing all KC-135, KC-10 and B-52 aircraft deployed to Saudi Arabia. His final contribution was his restructuring of SAC airlift operations into the new Air Mobility Command.

At his retirement ceremony in 1994, Major General John Sams stated the John was "a great officer imminently successful in his military career" and "he helped others achieve success with his personal attention to each individual."

John's love of family, reverence for nature, and appreciation of the simple joys of life touched all who knew him. He approached his retirement as he did his career, enjoying golf, gardening, painting and forever dreaming of the best fishing spot. However, what he was most devoted to was his adored wife and soulmate, Sandra. He will be forever missed by his beloved wife of 28 years, Sandra; his cherished children, LesLee Ekwall-Hacker; Joni Metzler and Clayton Adams; his grandchildren, Jonathan & Lauren Hacker, Rebecca, Bruno, & Nickolas Adams; his dear brother Bill Ekwall and Jim Ekwall.

A Memorial Celebration will be conducted at the Riverside National Cemetery Thursday, May 2, 2002 at 10:00 A.M. Donations may be made in lieu of flowers to the Riverside Chapter of the Retired Officer's Association Scholarship Fund in Memory of Colonel John Ekwall, P.O. Box 163, Riverside, CA 92502

Lt. Col. Hinkle

Lt. Col. Frank E. Hinkle

Lt. Colonel Frank E. Hinkle left us on July 15, 2002. He was an Aircraft Commander and Chief of Stand Eval with the 361st Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Nha Trang from November 1966 until August, 1967. He had also flown the B-24's in World War II.

I do not have all the particulars as yet, but this morning, August 1st, 2002, I received the letter, that in my heart knew was coming, but did not want to receive. The letter was from the widow of Lt. Col. Hinkle telling me that he had passed on July the 15th. She said he had learned this past fall that he had leukemia. I believe he was 84 years of age.

We had remained in close contact until about the first of the year, then nothing. I received no reply on the letter about the past reunion. I had not been able to make contact by phone for several months and really feared something was wrong.

The funeral was with Full Military Honors at the National Memorial Cemetery in Phoenix, Arizona. His relatives from Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio were present.

This man, I first met in 1966 when he and I became 2 of the Ferry Flight Crew to bring one of the first EC-47's (then RC-47's) to Vietnam. We were first assigned to the 360th Tactical Electric Warfare Squadron at Tan Son Nhut. We remained here from September 8th, 1966 until he was scheduled to move to Nha Trang and the 361st TEWS around November 1st, 1966.

I was scheduled to stay with the 360th at Tan Son Nhut, but the day before Col. Hinkle was to depart for Nha Trang, he told me to have my bags packed in the morning, he was taking me with him. Him, Pilot Major Harold R. Lagasse, Navigator Capt. Robert M. Harris and I went to the new 361st where we became SEFE for our particular crew positions. Here too, we flew together as a crew for the entire tour. We were the only crew to ferry an aircraft over, fly together as a crew and come home together, so as far as I have been able to determine.

The Crew worked very well together and each member had full confidence in each of the other members, as it should be. It was the leadership of Col. Hinkle that made this possible and he was the bond that kept us together. He looked out for each of us as we did him. He was not only a leader, he was a friend.

Lt. Col. Frank E. Hinkle, one of three men who had a most positive effect on my Air Force Career and my Life, He will surely be missed.

Date of Birth: December 16th, 1918
Date of Death: July 15th, 2002

Bruial at: Section 50, Site 1262, National Cemetary of Arizona 23029 N. Cave Creek Road, Phoenix, AZ 85204.

James C. Wheeler
Flight Mechanic

Russell Love

Received From Jack Shelton.

The following death notice was published in the Lampasas Texas newspaper today ( Aug 9, 2002). Russell Love was a Captain pilot in the 361st TEWS until March of 1974. After his SEA tour he was assigned to SAC KC-135s until returning to civilian life in Central Texas. Russell was an outstanding business and community leader in Copperas Cove Texas near Fort Hood. He had wonderful memories of his service as an Air Force pilot and his time in the EC- 47s. It was only a few weeks ago while attending his mother's funeral that I discovered Capt. Russell had served with the 361st. At that time we talked about attending the reunion together in September of 2003. His father who died several years ago served during WW II as a C-46 and C-47 pilot flying the China Hump. I had the pleasure of hanger flying with 87 year old Mr. Love many times before his death never knowing his son Russell was an ex EC-47 driver. Russell's death was unexpected, his big heart just failed. His brother David said to me today, "It was broken over the death of his mother." Perhaps we will be able to remember Russell and others who have departed this life since our last reunion when we gather again. Russell Allen Love, 58, of Copperas Cove died Aug. 6, 2002, at Metroplex Hospital in Killeen. Funeral services are Aug. 10 at 10 a.m. at East Side Baptist Church in Copperas Cove with Bryan Hawkins officiating. Burial will follow at Oak Hill Cemetery. Mr. Love was born July 3, 1944, in Louisville, Ky., the son of Olen Fisher and June Hargrave Love. He was the secretary, treasurer and comptroller at Cove Ford in Copperas Cove, where he was part owner with his brother and cousin. Mr. Love graduated from Baylor University where he participated in the ROTC program. He was a pilot in the U.S. Air Force, serving in Vietnam, Thailand and the Philippines. He also served with Strategic Air Command stateside. He was chairman of the Copperas Cove Economic Development Corp. He also served on the board of directors of the Coryell County Salvation Army. Mr. Love was a board member of the Chamber of Commerce, and was a member of the Exchange Club in Copperas Cove. He attended East Side Baptist Church in Copperas Cove, and had lived in the area since 1978. Prior to that, he was reared in Lampasas. He is survived by a brother and his wife, David and Karen Love, of Lampasas; a nephew, Wes Love, of Chicago; and a niece, Mandy Love, of Lubbock. He was preceded in death by his father on Dec. 10, 1999, and by his mother on July 23, 2002.

Col. James F. Casey
Retired Air Force Officer Col. James F. Casey died Sunday at his home in Merced. He was born and raised in Dover, Mass., attended The Mass College of Pharmacy for four years and was a registered pharmacist in Mass. He was a fighter pilot in Europe during WWII, flying two combat Tours before spending one year as a POW in Germany. After WWII, he graduated from The University of Colorado with an engineering degree and it was there that he met his future wife, Patricia Fountain of Southfield, Michigan. Military assignments transferred them around the world from Saudi Arabia, Europe and the Far East to Washington D.C., Texas and California where he retired as Base Commander, Castle AFB. He was a graduate of Air Command Staff School and the Air War College where he also earned an M/S in International Affairs at George Washington University. After his Air Force career, he worked for 12 years in hospital administration. He is preceded in death by his wife, Patricia and survived by three children, Paul Casey of Birmingham, AL, Stephen Casey of Modesto, CA, Gail Hansen of Merced, CA; and nine grandchildren. Burial was on July 17, at Merced District Cemetery with Military Honors being provided by Travis Air Force Base. Col. Casey also served with the 361st Tactical Electronics Warfare squadron at Nha Trang AB, Vietnam in 1966/67 as Operations Officer.

Kenneth R. Weber

Regretfully, I have to inform the EC-47 Organization that Kenneth R. Weber, a former navigator with the 361 TEWS died on December 18, 2002. Ken was a 1967 Air Force Academy graduate and also the holder of a MBA degree from UCLA. He completed his tour of duty in Vietnam on December 20, 1969. He was then assigned to a navigator position flying C141's out of McGuire AFB, NJ. One of the more unique missions of his career was being assigned the lead navigator position for the initial 1971 mission to Republic of China. Among his many awards, he was the recipient of the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Ken was married to Joan (Sullivan) Weber and they had two children, Maggie a senior at Boston University and Michael a senior in high school. Michael, who had received a U. S. Congressional appointment to the Air Force Academy, was selected for the AFA class of 2007 on December 18, 2002. He is also survived by a brother Hank Weber and a sister Lois Jordan.

He was very active in his community of Wantagh, New York and was a member of both the Disabled American Veterans and the American Legion. His involvement with assisting people in need was noteworthy and specific recognition was given to Ken for his work with the poor during his eulogy by the priest from St. Frances de Chantal.

Ken was one of the special people that you are sometimes graced with the opportunity to meet and have become part of your life. He and I roomed together in Vietnam for our entire tours of duty and we remained in close contact with each other ever since. He was a good, honest and gentle man and one of the bravest individuals I ever met.

Ken was 57 years old. Interment was in the Long Island National Cemetery with the Air Force providing full Military Honors.

Respectfully, submitted by Michael L. Moriarty, Lt. Col. USAF Retired

Kenneth W. Evans
Kenneth W. (Ken) Evans

Ken left us on 29 July 1973.

Ken was a member of the 361st Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Nha Trang in 1966/67. He served as the Squadron Mail Clerk. Ken and I were room-mates from the first day I arrived at Nha Trang. We sometimes worked at the NCO club from closing time until the cooks came in the next morning. The bar was open to us during our work time too.
Ken and I shared many experiences while in Vietnam from the big generator fire accross the street from our house, Number 2 Mei Lein. It was here that Ken almost lost his little toe after the generator caught fire while he was refueling it. The time I slipped out back and under his window while he was making one of those little tape recordings that were so popular to his wife as opposed to writing a letter. I had my .38 revolver and let off three rounds as quick as I could pull the trigger. Needless to say, he had to redo the tape recording. Then there was the night we had the cyclo race. Big winnings on the slots in the club. For the last couple months or so, we had comandered a 16 by 32 foot hooches, one of those that had a 4 foot plywood wall then a couple of feet of screen wire and then the canvas or tent top. It was just about a block from the NCO club and was not being used so we moved in at no cost, getting out of the renting business. No one ever noticed so we just stayed there.

He was a sincere friend and we shared many good times and a few bad times together. We also shared a common hobby. Ken had a Model A Coupe he was restoring and I had a 1929 Hudson 4 Door Sedan.
I hope someday make contact with Ken's family, I hope all is well with them.

I had written to Randolf AFB on 22 May, 2003, trying to locate Ken. This morning 10 June, 2003, the letter was returned to me with the following note: "We regret to inform you that the individual you are trying to locate is deceased. The date of death is: 29 July 73."

It does not seem possible that he could have been gone for 30 years. It seems like only a few months since we were there. I do not know where Ken is resting these days, maybe someday too, I will learn where. Rest in Peace, My Friend.

Robert L. Lowry
Robert L. Lowry

Robert left us in 1988.

Information received today, July 7, 2003 from Charles S. "Chuck" Tache, Robert L. Lowry was born on June 19th, 1934 left us on August 7th, 1988 and was burried with Full Military Honors on August 10th, 1988 in the Indiantown Gap National Cemerety in Annville, Lebanon County Pennsylvaina in plot 11 1157.

Robert was an A29271 Radio Operator with the 6994th Security Squadron at Tan Son Nhut in 1968/69.

Robert has joined Ours Gone.

May he forever rest in Peace.

Gene Howard

Gene left us in December, 2002.

Information received today, July 30, 2003 from Stanley W. States.
Gene Howard passed on in December 2002. He had been in ill health for some time. Gene was a Pilot with the 360th Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Tan Son Nhut from Jan. 1967 to Jan. 1968.
Stanley says, "We ferried an aircraft over leaving the states on Jan. 29th 1967 and it took us 47 days to get to Saigon. The record for the longest ferry mission.

Another has joined Ours Gone. May he rest in Peace.

Roosevelt R. Henderson
Roosevelt F. Henderson

Received From Karl Hammerle, Thursday, August 07, 2003

Roosevelt F. Henderson

Born: March 21, 1934

Died: August 6, 2003

Memorialized by: Sunset Memorial Park & Funeral Home


SMSGT Roosevelt Franklin Henderson USAF (Ret.) born on March 21, 1934 in Lettsworth, LA. He went to be with the Lord on August 6, 2003 at the age of 69. He proudly served in the United States Air Force for 28 years; highly decorated Vietnam veteran, and U.S. Postal service worker for over 15 years. He was a loving husband, father, grandfather and friend who will be greatly missed by all who loved him. He was preceded in death by his parents Willis & Beatrice Henderson, sister Hazel Goff and brother Joseph Henderson. He is survived by his wife Ann Henderson; daughters Anna Henderson, April Henderson-Woods; sisters Izola Ennis and Rosa Lee Byrd; brothers Willis Henderson Jr. and Morris Henderson; grandchildren Christopher Barron, Ashleigh Barron, Brandon Barron, and Christopher Alvarez; and a host of nieces and nephews and extended family members. Visitation: 5:00-8:00 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home. Funeral services will be held at 12:30 p.m. Friday, August 8 at Sunset Funeral Home. Interment to follow at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery with full military honors.

Karl Hammerle says SMSGT Henderson was assigned to the 6994th Security Squadron on two assignments, one in the very early days but the dates are not known.

Karl is now among Ours Gone, May he rest in Peace.

Paul G. Schultz
Paul G. Schultz

Paul left us on December 24th, 2001.

Information received today, August 12, 2003 from Jim Coffman, Paul G. Schultz passed away on December 24th, 2001. Jim Coffman and Paul G. Schultz were on the same Ferry Flight Crew and arrived at Nha Trang on March 1st, 1967.

Paul is now among Ours Gone, May He Rest in Peace.

Robert V. McKee

Robert left us in April 1981.

Information received today, August 12th, 2003 from Jim Coffman, Robert V. McKee passed away on April 29th, 1981. Jim Coffman and Robert V. McKee were on the same Ferry Flight Crew and arrived at Nha Trang on March 1st, 1967

Robert is now among Ours Gone, May he rest in Peace.

George Cupp
George Cupp

George left us in 1995.

Information received today, August 16th, 2003 from Jim Coffman.
George passed away on July 12th, 1995. He was a Flight Mechanic with the 361st Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Nha Trang, 1967.
George, Jim and I were all with the 361st at Nha Trang together.

George has joined Ours Gone.

May he forever rest in Peace.

Robert M. Harris
Robert M."Bob" Harris

Robert left us on April 5th, 2004.

Bob Harris retired as a Lt. Col. and was my Navigator for my tour with the 361st Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Nha Trang AB Vietnam in 1966/67. He was also one of the Navigators on our Ferry Flight over, taking, I believe, the 6th EC-47 to arrive in country in September, 1966.

Information received from Bob's wife.
Bob was killed in an automobile accident at approximately 15:30 on April 15th, 2004 while driving his prize automobile, a Triumph TR-7 Sports Car. Bob had stopped in traffic, I believe it was the scene of a traffic accident, on US 67 between North Little Rock and Jacksonville where he was struck from the rear by a driver who did not stop.

Bob's passing leave me as the sole survivor of the crew.

Date of Birth: December 22nd, 1935
Date of Death: April 5th, 2004

Burial at: Section C03 Site 35, Arkansas State Veterans Cemetary, 1501 West Maryland, North Little Rock, Arkansas 72120-0000.

Bob has now joined Ours Gone.

May he forever rest in Peace.

Tom Henry

August 16th, 2004 - Received from: Peyton Northern, 202x0, USAF Retired, Det 1, 6994th (Nha Trang and Phu Cat) Aug 69-Aug70

I got a call from Jack Henry, Tom's brother saying that Tom had passed away. His family was at his side when he passed. His wake was held at the Damar Funeral Home, 7861 South 88th Ave, Justice, IL 60458. His funeral mass was at St Beeds Church, 8200 South Kostner, Chicago, IL.

Tom was married, his wife's name is Mary. He had two children, a boy and a girl. After leaving the Air Force he became a Chicago policeman until he passed away yesterday.

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Jack Neelis

September 22nd, 2004 - Received from: Hugh Sinnock via Lewis Vincent

Word received is that Jack Neelis a Pilot with the TEWS Unit at NKP for most of 1971 had passed on in 1996.

Jack was from Bossier City, LA and left his wife Debbie.

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Eugene (Gene) Halfman

December, 2004 - Received from: John House

John reported that Eugene (Gene) Halfman passed on in November of 2003.

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Timothy J. Emmons

December, 2004 - Received from: Lora Emmons

January 29th, 2005. Received word from the wife of Timmothy J. Emmons saying that Timothy passed on on December 27th, 2004. Timothy is now among "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Arthur "Art' Silvin

Art Silvin

April, 2005 - Received from: The Daughter of Art Silvin

Information received that Arthur "Art" Silvin former AMS/IRO with Det.2, 6994th Security Squadron at Pleiku and Danang, passed away on March 22, 2005 and buried in York, Pa on March 31st..

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Bob Dutton

Robert D. "Bob" Dutton

October 1st, 2005 - Received word via Danny Russell that Bob Dutton has now joined "Ours Gone". I do not have the details but Bob was an Airborne Radio Intercept Operator with the 6994th Security Suadron at Tan Son Nhut in 1968/69 and was living in West Linn, Oregon.

Burrial will be October 6th in the Willamette National Cemetary with full military honors.

October 4th, 2005 - Robert D. "Bob" Dutton, November 11, 1934 - October 1, 2005

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

No Photo Available

Merle J. Vernone

October 13th, 2005 - Received word Ann, the widow of Merle J. Vernone that Merle passed away June 26th, 2005 and has now joined "Ours Gone".

I hope to have further on this later.

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

David D. Davidson

November 13th, 2005 - Received word This is Claudine Davidson, via Lewis Davis. Sadly, I must inform you that my husband David is not with us anymore. Dave passed away on his birthday, July 30, 2005.

He had been ill and in and out of the hospital for about 5 years. He had numerous illnesses but lately his diabetes became uncontrollable and caused heart and liver failure. Claudine

David was always at our reunions.

David has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

No Photo Available

Bill Fridel

May 5th, 2006 - Received word from Paul Siler that Bill had recently passed away. Bill was wih Detachment 2, 6994th Security Squadron, he was 69 years old.

Bill has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

No Photo Available

Phil Carlson

May 5th, 2006 - Received word from Danny Russell that Phil had passed away on April 29th this year. Phil assigned to Detachment 2, 6994th Security Squadron at Pleiku and was Squadron Commander, 1968/69..

Phil has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Leo A. Sanford Jr.

May 12th, 2006 - Received word from Shirley Sanford on the passing of her husband and one of ours, from the 362nd TEWS, S/Sgt Leo A Sanford, Jr, born: Jan. 17, 1937; died: July 15, 2005, from Agent Orange complications. He was in Plieku 1966-67. He also was a military man til he died, always supported his VFW Post 5464, was Commander for 2 years. Never forgot his friends "family" in the service.

Leo has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

No Photo Available

Colonel Alvin Lee Reeser

Colonel Alvin Lee Reeser, USAF (Ret.) May 8, 2004

Colonel Alvin Lee Reeser, USAF (Ret.), passed away on May 8, 2004 in Huntsville, Alabama. He was born on February 28, 1928 in Lakeland, Florida to Ernie and Susie Reeser. `

Al was preceded in death by his parents, his brother, Don, and his grandson, Rex.

He was raised in Vero Beach, Florida and attended Auburn University where he played football. He left the University to join the US Air Force Cadet Program in 1948. Later he graduated from the University of Arizona as an honors graduate in Mechanical Engineering and went on to earn a Masters degree in Systems Management from the University of Southern California.

Al was a decorated veteran of both the Korean and Vietnam Wars, where he flew over 200 combat missions as a pilot. He retired from the Air Force in 1976 while serving as the Vice Commander at the Space and Missile Test Center at Vandenberg AFB, California.

From 1976 to 1985, Al worked for Rockwell International as the General Manager of the Kennedy Space Center Launch Operations. His team successfully processed, launched and recovered the first ten space shuttle flights. He received the “Distinguished Public Service Award Medal”, the highest NASA award given for non-governmental service.

Al moved to Huntsville, Alabama in 1987 to be the Executive Vice President and General Manager of United Space Boosters, Inc. where he received his second NASA “Distinguished Public Service Award Medal.”

In 1991, he became the President and CEO of SpaceHab, Inc. in Washington, DC, a firm that develops modules for space-based research and cargo transportation on the US space shuttle fleet. The Reesers returned to Huntsville in 1994 when Al retired.

Al will be greatly missed by his family and friends. He is survived by his loving wife of 54 years, Helen; his three children, Becky Kuntz (Gregg) of Scottsdale, Arizona, Michael Reeser (Carroll) of Sweetwater, Texas, and Don Reeser (Kimberly) of Maputo, Mozambique, Africa. He leaves seven grandchildren, Kristina Kuntz, Michael Kuntz, Joe Reeser, Lauren Reeser, Katie Reeser, Matthew Reeser, and Susannah Reeser; and two sisters, Ruby Zeuch and Joyce Northern, both of Vero Beach, Florida.

Information from Alvin's son Mike.

Alvin has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

>P> No Photo Available

CMSGT Charles W. Robb III

Charles W. Robb III, Chief MSGT, Retired, a resident of Montgomery, died on Nov. 29, 2004. Mr. Robb is survived by his wife, Ann W. Robb; five children, Wayne Robb (Maureen) of North Hampton, England; Karen Robb and John Robb, both of Milton Keyes, England; Mark Stacks (Janice) of Dora and Scott Stacks of Dothan; one sister, Pamela A. Robb of Stewartson, Pa.; and five grandchildren.

Funeral services for Mr. Robb were held on Thursday, Dec. 2, 2004, at Valley Park Baptist Church, Montgomery, at 4 p.m. with the Rev. Danny Powell officiating. Visitation was held one hour prior to services.

Graveside services will be held on Friday, Dec. 2, 2004 at 2 p.m. at Rice Chapel Baptist Church Cemetery in Bremen with full military honors.

Tribute for: Charles Robb III (montgomery, AL) Tribute left by: Karen Robb (Montgomery, AL) I would like to leave a tribute to my father Charles W Robb III who spent 25 years in the air force and retired a CMSGT, my father died of cancer in 2004 aged 60, but I will never forget his devotion to his country, I am half American half English and I will never forget how proud to be an American my father was, he served in Vietnam and Pakistan and was totally devoted to the Air Force, I just want to say Thank you Dad you showed me how to be a proud women. Love you Karen

Information from CMSGT Frank Bowley.

Charles has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

No Photo Available

SSGT Warren F. Phinney Jr.

SSGT Warren F. Phinney Jr. passed away on March 28, 2006 due to complications from a surgery that went bad. I thought you might add him to your roster and pass on the news for me.

Information received from Juanita C. Phinney

Warren has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

No Photo Available

MSGT Gary D. Raymond

From the December FTVA, one of Fallen Eagles remembered was MSgt Gary D Raymond. He was one of our Radio Operators in Nha Trang 66-67. Gary passed away on 9/22/06 following "a long battle with heart and lung disease."

Information received from Ed Bendinelli.

Gary has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

No Photo Available

Colonel William Horn

Colonel William Horn passed away this morning. You can reach his son at (703)765-4928.

Colonel Horn was an early 360th TEWS Commander. I believe he followed Lt. Col. James Jelley who was the first Commander of the 360th TEWS in 1966/67

This information recieved from Bob Graham via Chuck Sutton on Dec. 14th, 2006

I received the information below from John Mitchell today, December 20th, 2006

This wasn't published until today's Washington Post paper. John Mitchell

William "Bill" Horn Jr., 85, a retired Air Force colonel who also was an aviation consultant, died Dec. 14 at his home in Alexandria. He had Parkinson's disease. Col. Horn, a native of Flushing, N.Y., began his career as a pilot in the Army Air Forces during World War II. During the next 30 years, he piloted planes that included C-47 transports and KC-135 jet tankers on assignments that took him to Europe and Southeast Asia. In his final posting before retiring from active duty in 1972, he was a liaison between the Air Force and the Federal Aviation Administration.

His military decorations included the Legion of Merit and the Distinguished Flying Cross. Col. Horn settled in the Mount Vernon area about the time he graduated in 1964 with a degree in business administration from the University of Maryland. From 1973 to 1984, he worked as manager of air space and air traffic control services for the National Business Aviation Association Inc. in Washington. His hobbies included golfing and bowling. His wife of 46 years, Carol Emory Horn, died in 1991. Survivors include three children, William C. Horn, Thomas Horn and Patricia M. Horn-Cosgrave, all of Alexandria; two sisters; and three grandchildren.

WIlliam has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

No Photo Available

Joseph R. Harvey

December 20th, 2006. Received from, Joseph M. Harvey Lt. Col. and the son of Joseph R. Harvey, one of ours.

Mr. Wheeler,

Lt Col Joseph R. Harvey was a pilot and Sq Ops Officer in 360th TEWS at Ton Son Nhut from Jul 72-Dec 72, then at NKP in Thailand from Dec 72-Sep 73. I'd like to get more info about the mission during that time. He also flew C123's at Ton Son Nhut in the 19 Special Ops Sq.

He passed away in 1978 and I just found a lot of old photos that I'll try to pass to you for posting. Thanks, Joe

Joseph has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Keith W. Bud Langley
Keith W. "Bud" Langley

Information received today, January 14th, 2007 from Billy Evatt, "Bud" Langley passed away some five (5) years ago. Bud was a Pilot with the 361st Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Nha Trang in 1967. Billy said he also flew with Bud at Warner Robins.

"Bud" is now among Ours Gone, May He Rest in Peace.

Lt. Col. Michael C. Flemming

Michael C. Flemming

Received Jan. 30, 2007 from Richard J. Guertin, Colonel USAF, Retired.

I got word today that my old EC-47 Ferry Pilot, Instructor Pilot and friend died and thought it would be appropriate to high light him in the EC history. At Nha Trang in 1967 - 1968 he was a Captain and his full name was Michael C. Fleming. He could make any goon talk but #882 was his bird. After SEA we lost track of one an other but I've heard that Mike continued to fly in the far East until recently. I don't know the mission or circumstance of his flying but ,and this is only a guess. It may have been associated with the "Christians in Action" organization. He died December 1, 2006, in Chiang Mai Ram Hospital, Chiang Mai Thailand.

He now fly's with the angels and has God as his Co-pilot.
Rest in Peace good friend.

Robert Pelner

No Photo Available

Received February 12, 2007 from Rodger Curnow.

To the "Ours Gone" may be added Robert Pelner, who was a navigator with the 362nd TEWS between 1969-70. I just very recently learned of his passing in December of 2005. He appears in the 362nd yearbook on the website at pages 37 and 38. Below I'm pasting a copy of the obit as it appeared in the Sheboygan, Wisconsin newspaper. (I think they got it reversed as to the number of Air Medals and DFCs he had.) Rob's brother told me that he had lung cancer. He was a friend. We served together between 1971 and 1974 at Mather AFB, and later he helped me get into law school and his C-5 reserve squadron at Travis. He was an irrepresible spirit!

Information taken from the Sheboygan Press,(WI)

December 14, 2005

Robert E. Pelner, 60, 902 Logan Ave., died Saturday afternoon, Dec. 10, 2005 at St. Nicholas Hospital.

Robert was born March 4, 1945 in Sheboygan to Ernest G. and Elizabeth (Lowe) Pelner. He was a graduate of Sheboygan North High School, Class of 1964 and he received his Bachelor's degree from the University of Wisconsin--Madison, Class of 1968 where he was a member of the Air Force ROTC. He served in the U.S. Air Force, stationed in Vietnam where he was awarded 3 Distinguished Flying Crosses and the U.S. Air Force Medal. He achieved the rank of Major.

Robert received his Master's Degree and Doctorate of Juris Prudence from the University of the Pacific. He practiced law in a partnership in California for a number of years before returning to Sheboygan.

Robert is survived by his mother, Elizabeth Pelner of Sheboygan his brother, James W. (Rene) Pelner of Placitas, New Mexico his nephew James A. (Jenny) Pelner and his niece Michelle L. Pelner all of Phoenix, AZ.

A Requiem Mass will be celebrated at 11 a.m., Friday, Dec. 16, at Grace Episcopal Church. The Rev. Rex Perry will officiate. Friends may gather at 10:30 a.m. until the time of service. Burial will follow at Wildwood Cemetery.

Robert has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Carl Lemon

No Photo Available

February 16th, 2007

Hello Folks

I have recieved an e-mail from the son of Carl Lemon via Danny Russell that Captain Carl Lemon passed away in 1994. Carl was the navigator on CAP53 shot down on April 22nd, 1970. Document and Photos

Carl has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Myron 'Mike' Cribbet

No Photo Available

March 21st, 2007

Hello Folks

I have recieved an e-mail from Rick Yeh relayed from Don Wallace, the stepson of Myron 'Mike' Cribbet on the passing of Myron 'Mike' Cribbet at his home in Garland, Texas after a short battle with cancer. Mike was a Bravo Maintenance technician in Pleiku/Danang in 70/71.

Mike has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Carl Engel

No Photo Available

Received November 21st, 2007 from Rodger Curnow.

To the "Ours Gone" may be added Carl Engel.

I Was informed recently by Chuck Greenley (former squadron navigator of the 362nd TEWS 1970-71 at Danang) of the passing of Carl Engel last May in Depoe Bay, Oregon. Carl was the squadron administrative officer of the 362nd when I PCS'd there in 1970.

The obituary which appeared in the Newport News (Central Oregon) newspaper is shown here:

Carl R. Engel, 72, of Depoe Bay died May 6, 2007. He was born May 25, 1934 and grew up in Portland. He graduated from the University of Portland in 1957. That same year he married Mary Ann Huetten, also of Portland, and entered the U.S. Air Force. He served 22 years, retiring in 1979 in the grade of Lt. Colonel. Among military assignments were three years service in France with NATO, a one-year combat tour in Vietnam, including 106 combat missions, and two years with the U.S. Military Advisory Assistance Group - Iran, as a personnel management advisor to the Imperial General Staff in Tehran. Stateside duty assignments included flight operations in Utah and on Cape Cod, and three years as chief of personnel plans at the Aerospace Defense Command Headquarters in Colorado Springs. His first assignment was as director of operations and plans at the Regional North American Air Division Headquarters in Minnesota.

Upon a retirement from active duty he and Mary Ann returned to Portland and Carl worked as a stockbroker at Merrill Lynch for several years. Prior to final retirement he managed the Oregon Literacy Bookstore, an affiliate of Oregon Literacy, Inc. In 2000 he and Mary Ann moved to the Oregon coast seeking the tranquility of seaside living. He enjoyed tennis and was a stock market enthusiast all his adult life.

Carl is survived by his wife of 50 years, Mary Ann; daughter Nancy; and sister Elaine Buxman.

A funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Monday, May 14 at Lincoln Memorial Funeral Home in Portland. A graveside ceremony with full military honors at Willamette National Cemetery in Portland. Remembrances of choice are encouraged.

Carl has now joined the growing ranks of "Ours Gone".

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Clarence T. "Tom" Smith

No Photo Available

February 21st, 2008

I have received word on the passing of another of ours.

Lt. Col. Clarence T. "Tom" Smith joined "Ours Gone" on March 31st, 2007. Col. Smith then a Major served with the 361st Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Phu Cat AB, Vietnam as a Navigator and Scheduler in 1969/70.

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Howe L. "Lee" Vandegriff

No Photo Available

February 25th, 2008

I have received a letter this morning from Thomas E. Way, on the passing of another of ours.

Information from Thomas, that Lee passed away in Santa Fe, New Mexico on Novenber 22, 2006, 34 years and one day after surviving the crash of Baron-56. Lee was a Lt. Col. and a Navigator with the 361st Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at NKP. He wrote a first hand account of this crash and it is posted on the site, the crash of Baron-56, EC-47 43-49771 on which he was the Navigator. Lee had also served with the 360th Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Tan Son Nhut in the same year.

To read Lee's account of the crash Click Here

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Roger Dumas

No Photo Available

March 31st, 2008

I have received a note this morning from Charlie Millsap, on the passing of another of ours.

Roger Dumas (TSN 70-71 era) passed away Friday March 28th in Hondo TX.

Charlie adds; I had the pleasure of working with him at TSN and making a few visits to Athens when he flew with the 6916th Security Squadron in the C-130 program. He was a real class act.

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.


Don Boston

No Photo Available

April 12th, 2008

I have received a note today from Gardner Gore with word from Carol Boston, on the passing of another of ours.

Don Boston passed away on September 26, 2007 after a long battle with lung cancer.

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Fred C. Seamans

No Photo Available

April 19th, 2008

I have received a note Ed Diehl, on the passing of another of ours.

Fred C.Seamans aged 62 of Carlsbad, NM passed away at his home on Sunday March 23, 2008. Interment was at Carlsbad Cemetery with Carlsbad Veterans Honor Guard providing Military Honors.

Fred was an Aircraft Mechanic with the 362nd Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Pleiku, 1966-1969.

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

John W. Banks II

No Photo Available

May 29th, 2008

I have received a note from John Banks, on the passing of another of ours, his father, John W. Banks II.

John W. Banks II was a Pilot with the 362nd TEWS and Passed away on December 7th, 2007 and was burried with full military honors.

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Lloyd Binford Moon

No Photo Available

June 2oth, 2008

I have received a note from Lee Pearson on the passing of Col. Lloyd Binford Moon.

Information was in the newspaper in Sumpter, South Carolina on 20 June, 2008 and shows Lloyd Finford was with the EC-47 Mission at Tan Son Nhut in 1968/69. Burial will be in Arlington.

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Raymond H. Rade

No Photo Available

November 3rd, 2008

I have received a note from Walter Palmer on the passing of Lt. Col. Raymond H. Rade. Col. Rade was Commander of Detachment 1, 6994th Security Squadron at Nha Trang, June, 1968 until June, 1969. Col. Rade passed on yesterday, November 2nd, 2008.

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

'Dick' Reitler

No Photo Available

November 25th, 2008

I have received a note from Peter A. Tirone, nephew of Dick Reitler that his uncle, Dick had passed in 2007. I should have more information on this in a day or so.

Additional Information received today, Dec. 2, 2008


Richard D. Reitler, 83, a retired United States Air Force Colonel who served in World War II, Korea and Vietnam, died Sunday (November 11, 2007) in Buffalo General Hospital. He was a resident of Dewittville, New York in Chautauqua County.

“It is fitting that he passed away on Veterans’ Day because he served our country so long, so courageously and so honorably,” said his wife, the former Rosemary Tirone, whom he married in Orchard Park, NY in 1973.

Born in Ford City, PA, Mr. Reitler decided to join the Army Air Corps in 1942, while a freshman at Penn State University. Commissioned at age 19, he was sent to Europe in 1944 during World War II and was stationed in France when Paris was liberated.

The airplane he was piloting was shot down during a mission over Holland later that year, and he was able to make his way to England with the assistance of members of the Dutch underground. Mr. Reitler flew 65 missions in B-26 aircraft during the war.

After the war, he enrolled at Duquesne University, where he earned a bachelor’s degree. He was signed as a player for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1951, and he taught high school in Bellevue, PA before returning to active duty in 1953. During the Korean War, he flew 25 missions from Yakota Air Base in Japan.

Mr. Reitler was an instructor in radar, navigation and malfunction training at Ellington Field and at Harlingen Air Force Base, both in Texas. In 1961, as a captain, he became squad commander of cadet training in Waco, TX.

In 1966, as a lieutenant colonel, he received specialized training in the Philippines. He served in Vietnam as wing navigator/intelligence officer, during which he flew 144 missions.

Returning to the United States, he piloted C-121 aircraft out of Otis Air Force Base in Massachusetts for airborne early warning radar sites, and then was headquarters commander/assistant wing commander at England Air Force Base in Louisiana.

When he retired as a colonel in 1971, he had logged 10,000 air hours.

In addition to his wife, survivors include three daughters, Kathleen D. of Templeton, PA; Barbara E. Bittinger of Stow, OH, and Janet M. of Tampa, FL; three grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and a sister, Rovena Chaveaux of Kittanning, PA.

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

George W. Myrick

No Photo Available

December 2nd, 2008

Received the following information from the Daughter of George W. Myrick on the passing of her father.

She said her father passed away on December 1st, 2008 following a lengthy illness. She said he was a member of the 6994th Security Squadron in Vietnam. I hope to have more information on his passing in the next few days.

This additional information just received, December 2nd, 2008.

GEORGE WALLACE MYRICK was born to the late George H. and Ruby Scott Myrick on November 30, 1936, in Warren County, Georgia. A brother, Freddie E. Myrick, preceded him in death.

As a young child, George along with two of his siblings moved with their parents to Atlanta, GA, where George was educated in the Atlanta Public Schools. George received his high school diploma after volunteering for the U.S. Air Force in 1952 at age 16, where he was trained as a Communications Intelligence Specialist. During his tour of duty in the Air Force, he married Barbara Ann Winfrey in 1959 and to this union two wonderful daughters were born. George bravely served his country in the 6994th Security Squadron during the Vietnam War and his unit was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation (PUC) with Valor and the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award (AFOUA). George distinguished himself as a twenty year veteran of the armed forces, traveling the world and retired from active duty at the rank of Master Sergeant Communications Specialist in 1972. He continued service to his country as an Air Force Reservist until 1996 and worked with the U.S. Postal Service until retiring in 2002 with 35 years of service.

He was joined in holy matrimony to Frankie Elaine Cox on April 19, 1975. They enjoyed family and traveling together. Frankie was his constant companion and remained by his side until his passing on December 1, 2008, at Hospice Atlanta.

George Myrick was a humble servant to many. He took pleasure in being an amateur radio operator which was his way of keeping in touch with many of his Air Force buddies. George was an avid photographer, and he also enjoyed working on cars for which he was always willing to provide some automotive advice or service for friends and family.

At an early age George was baptized at West Hunter Street Baptist Church. Later in life he became a faithful member of Bethlehem United Methodist Church where he worshipped and served as a trustee, usher and on the Pastor’s Parish Committee; he was also a member of the United Methodist Men until health challenges limited his ability to participate. His faith in God, his gentle spirit and his unyielding perseverance will always be an encouragement to his family.

He leaves to cherish his memory a loving and devoted wife, Frankie E. Myrick; two adoring daughters Dawn C. Ogden, Dia (Darrell) Taylor and their mother (Barbara Winfrey-McDaniel); two beautiful granddaughters Deandrea and Dara Taylor; three sisters Rochelle (Albert) Cook, Corlis (Jimmy) Ellis and Karen (Michael) Carrington; mother-in-law Mildred Cox; brother-in-law Kenneth Cox and a host of nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.

Gone but not forgotten. May he forever rest in peace.

Pete Randolph

No Photo Available

December 29th, 2008

Received from Jon Ohnam,

Pete Randolph, of the 362nd TEWS passed away on December 19th 2008. He was the Crew Chief who inherited 570 after my departure from DaNang in 1971. I attended his funeral on the 26th, provided flowers in his memory on behalf of the unit and read words in tribute to his service while in Vietnam. I didn't know Pete very well, but it is my understanding that he retired after working many years at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware. He is survived by his wife, two daughters and an adopted son.

Pete is now listed as Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Jungle "Joe" Reynolds

No Photo Available

May 2nd, 2009

Received today, May 3rd, 2009 from Bill DeCamp

I am sad to report the death of Joe "Jungle Joe" Reynolds. I had previously reported that Joe had been battling a condition that had resulted from bothched treatment for prostate cancer (radioactive seed implants). I had the same treatment 18 months ago and everything went okay for me. Joe died last night, May 2nd. He had been in and out of the hospital for several months and was facing the possibility of yet another surgery, though the doctors had said it was dangerous.

Joe is now listed as Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

This Added on May 5th, 2009

James Joseph Reynolds (January 8, 1941 - May 2, 2009)

James Joseph “JJ” Reynolds, age 68, of Castroville, TX, passed away May 2, 2009 in San Antonio, TX. James was born Jan. 8, 1941 in Washington, D.C. to the late Evelyn and Edward Reynolds, Jr. James was a 1959 graduate of Balboa High School in Panama City, Panama. In 1961 he received an Associates Degree from Panama Canal College Department of Defense Dependent School. He served 26 years in the U.S. Air Force, which included 17 years of foreign service, including Vietnam. In addition to his parents, he was also preceded in death by his step-son, Christopher James Flores. Survivors include his wife, Cleotilde “Cleo” Reynolds of Castroville; children, Jaqueline Doyle and husband Patrick of Everett, WA and James Joseph G.E. Reynolds and wife Karri Jane of Bonneylake, WA; step-children, Michael Flores and wife Lina of Helotes, Rene Flores and companion Miriam Lozano of Seabrook, TX; grandchildren, Morgan Doyle, Joseph Patrick Doyle, Lukas Doyle, Kellen Reynolds, Jaylee Reynolds, Nicholas David Flores, Julian Marin and Mayden Alyssa Flores; sister, Sheila Dillow of Travelers Rest, S.C. and niece Yvonne. Visitation will be on Wednesday, May 6, 2009 from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. with a Rosary starting at 7:00 p.m. at Tondre-Guinn Funeral Home in Castroville. Mass of Resurrection will be at 9:45 a.m., Thursday, May 7, 2009 at St. Louis Catholic Church in Castroville. Interment will follow at 11:45 a.m. at Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery at Ft. Sam Houston. Memorials may be made to Disabled American Veterans, P.O. Box 14301, Cincinnati, OH 45250-0301

JJ is now listed as Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Jack Cummings

No Photo Available

June 14th, 2009

Received today, June 20th, 2009 from Bob & Shirley Hull

Jack C. CUMMINGS Lt Col. Jack Clifford Cummings was born on March 26, 1932 in Centralia, WA. He passed away June 14, 2009 at University Place, WA. Col. Cummings grew up and graduated from Winlock High School in Winlock, WA, and served in the U. S. Air Force after graduating from the University of Washington in 1954. He was first stationed at flight schools in Texas, then Milan Italy, Rhinemein Germany, Sacramento CA, Montgomery Alabama, Tacoma WA, Vietnam missions-flying the EC-47 Gooney Bird, Portland OR, Dayton OH, Washington DC-retiring from the Pentagon in 1976. He then moved to the Tri Cities WA, to work for the DOE for 4 years. In 1981, he and his family moved to Bellevue, WA, where he started his own corporation, JC Consultants. Jack loved to fly. He owned a Rockwell Commander 114 and stayed in touch with his Gooney Bird (EC-47) buddies from Vietnam. Twelve years ago he sold the plane and started boating in his 33 foot Sea Ray. He enjoyed the "cruising club" going to Roche Harbor, Gig Harbor and other ports of call. Jack also greatly enjoyed cooking and would share his recipes and bring a dish to sample for anyone who would try them. Jack is survived by Betty Ellen Hedin Cummings, his wife and partner for 55 years. He is also survived by his children: Catherine Ellen Cummings, Kimberly Anne Richert and Michael Clifford Cummings. He was fortunate enough to have 3 grandchildren: Kelsey Marie Richert, Kaitlyn Anne Richert and Clifford Tan Cummings. His Graveside Memorial Service is at Sunset Hills Memorial Park, 1215 145th Place SE Bellevue, WA, to be held at 2:00 pm on Tuesday, June 23rd. A reception to follow at the Redmond VFW Hall: 4330 148th Ave NE, Redmond, WA 98052. If you wish to send flowers: Please send them to the VFW for the reception or make a donation to the Redmond VFW Support the Troops Fund in his name.

Jack is now listed as Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Roger Kenneth Gavit age 69.

No Photo Available

June 14th, 2009

Received today, June 23th, 2009 from Bill DeCamp

Roger Gavit passed away in San Angelo, Texas on Sunday, June 28th, 2009. He had served with the 6994th Detachment at Phu Cat, South Vietnam in 1969/70. He Retired from the Air Force after 21 years service. Memorial Service will be held at Shaffer Funeral Home at 2 PM on July 2nd.

Roger is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Ron Moring

No Photo Available

July 13th, 2009

Received today, July 14th, 2009 from Rick Yeh

Please add Ronald V. Moring to your "Ours Gone" section. His wife Cheryl sent a message informing me that Ron passed away yesterday, 13 Jul 2009, at 1308 hrs after a battle with cancer. Ron was a morse operator out of Danang in 70/72, and attended several of our EC-47 reunions.

Ron is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Frank Bregger

No Photo Available

September 28th, 2009

Received today, September 28th, 2009 from David Bregger via Charles Sutton

Frank (Gene) Bregger died this morning from a long fight with cancer. The services will be at The Harrell Funeral Home 4435 Frontier Trail, Austin Tx. 78745.Instead of flowers please give to your local Hospis.

David Bregger

Frank was a Pilot with the 361st Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Nha Trang from Feb. 1967 to Feb. 1968. He was also assigned to Ferry Flight Crew #34. J.C.

Frank is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Thomas Yurcina Sr.

No Photo Available

February, 2008

Received today, October 19th, 2009 from Thomas Yurcina Jr on the passing of his father.

Thomas Jr. says his father passed away in February, 2008 after serving with the EC-47 Mission at Pleiku, Nov. 1967 to Nov. 1968. He was a Lt. Col. and served as Operations Officer with the 362nd Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Pleiku.

Thomas is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Col. Oliver H. "Bob" Tallman

No Photo Available

Received today, November 25th, 2009 from Colette Tallman, wife of Oliver Tallman on the passing of her husband Oliver.

Oliver passed away of cancer in October of 2007. He served with the EC-47 at Phu Cat from July 1970 to July 1971 where he served as Squadron Commander of the 361st Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron. As he said a few years ago "Those Were The Days"

Oliver is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Franklin Delano Gardin

No Photo Available

Received 23 January, 2010 a Note from Penny Lewis on the passing of her father, Franklin Delano Gardin DOB Dec. 30, 1936.

Franklin was a Maintence Dock Chief with the 362nd TEWS at Pleiku from Feb. 1969 to Mar. 1970


Mr. Franklin Delano Gardin, 72, of Blue Ridge, Ga., passed away Sunday, Dec. 20, 2009, in Redmond Regional Medical Center in Rome, Ga.

Mr. Gardin was born on Dec. 30, 1936, in Madison, N.C., to the late Daniel Jarrett Gardin and Cora Ethel Suttles Gardin.

He was a member of Cherry Log Christian Church and was previous chairman of the Fannin County Democratic Party. He served in the United States Air Force and retired after 21 years of service. After retirement, he was a member of Georgia Air National Guard and in 1976 was appointed by Gov. Joe Frank Harris as an honorary Lt. Colonel. He had a second career with Thornton Chevrolet in Lithia Springs, while he and his wife built their dream home in Blue Ridge.

He loved nature including the plants, the trees, the bears, the cougars, and other wildlife. He loved to build with his own two hands, and was recently assisting his son in building a home. He was also a colorful storyteller and loved to entertain his grandchildren with tall tales from his Cherokee heritage.

He was preceded in death by two infant brothers, Frances Troy Gardin and Anson Denver Gardin.

He is survived by his wife, Betty Ruth Riden Gardin of Blue Ridge; a son, Brett Gardin of Blue Ridge; daughters, Penny Lewis (Dan Lewis) of Carrollton, Ga. and Pam Gossett (Allen Gossett) of Rome, Ga.; brothers, John Ray Gardin of Chucky, Tenn., Wade Junior Gardin of Norwood, N.C., and Wayne Jasper Gardin of Lenoir City, Tenn.; seven grandchildren, Jarrett Gossett (wife Amanda Gossett), Jennifer Goble (Trey Goble), Rebecca Gossett, Rob Gardin, Meagan Lewis, Leslie Lewis, and Christopher Lewis; and a great-grandson, James Goble.

Funeral services will be conducted Wednesday, Dec. 23, at 5 p.m. from the Akins of Blue Ridge Chapel with Rev. David Griffin officiating. Eulogy will be given by Dr. Bill Harrison. Music will be by Earline Crooke and Harold Walbert. Pallbearers will be Pete Thomas, Eugene Watkins, Joe Clement, Joe Sisson, James L. Clark, and James Jett. Honorary pallbearers will be Jim Sisson, John Lofaro, and Delaney Dill. Graveside services will be held Saturday, Dec. 26, at 2 p.m. in Sunrise Memorial Gardens in Douglasville, Ga.

The family will receive friends on Wednesday from 3 p.m. until the funeral hour of 5 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to The Craddock Center (A Children's Enrichment Program), P.O. Box 69, 947 Cherry Log Street, Cherry Log, GA 30522.

Condolences may be sent to the family at Akins Funeral Home of Blue Ridge is in charge of arrangements.

Franklin is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Allan T. (Al) Stein Passes On

No Photo Available

Received today, February, 2010 from Jim Jelley.

Jim received word from the widow of Al yesterday, February 1st, that Al had passed away this past September. Al was the first Squadron Operations Officer of the 360th Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron at Tan Son Nhut AB.

Al is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

James "Jim" Jelley

No Photo Available

Received from Charles "Chuck" Sutton.

Sherman, TX-James D. Jelley, Lt. Col. USAF (Retired), a member of America's “Greatest Generation,” answered his final bugle call while surrounded by his entire family on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 following complications from heart surgery.

Funeral services will be held at 1:30 PM Sunday, May 23 at Covenant Presbyterian Church. Rev. Neill Morgan will officiate of the church will officiate. Burial with military honors will be held at 12:30 PM Monday, May 24 in the Dallas/Ft. Worth National Cemetery

Jim, age 88, was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota on May 14, 1922, the first of three children to Lillian and Dewey Bonaparte Jelley. He attended the University of Minnesota and was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the US Army Air Corps at the outbreak of World War II. After completing his pilot training, he was assigned to heavy bombers and piloted 48 missions against the Japanese flying the B-24 Liberator. Flying out of Guadalcanal and other bases closer to Japan, he was shot down on his 22nd mission by a Japanese Zero over Rabaul Harbor, Papau New Guinea. After recovering from his wounds, he returned to pilot 26 more B-24 bombing missions. Following the war, he flew 51 missions in the Berlin Airlift. He completed nuclear weapons school at Sandia National Laboratories and flew the B-36 and B-47 strategic bombers in the USAF Strategic Air Command. He instructed air refueling in the B-47. While in the USAF, he also studied at the University of Omaha.

In 1966, he was selected as the first commander of the 360th Reconnaissance Squadron, known as “Antique Airlines,” flying the venerable DC-3 “Gooney Bird.” This squadron worked on a top-secret project, code named “Phyllis Ann,” that operated throughout Vietnam and was the forerunner of modern airborne intelligence gathering. In 1968, he retired from the Air Force while stationed at the Pentagon. His many decorations include the Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross with three Oak Leaf clusters, Airman's Medal with nine Oak Leaf clusters, Purple Heart, World War II Victory Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with a Bronze Service Star, the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal, and certificates inducting him into the “1000 Hour Club” for the B-36 and the B-47. He flew one of the B-36s in the movie Strategic Air Command starring James Stewart.

After retirement, Jim and his family moved to Sherman, where Jim served as an executive of several local companies for a number of years while raising registered Black Angus cattle and quarter horses. He loved his ranch and took pride in being a Texan. He served on the board of the Two Way Water Supply Corp. and was a member of the Grayson County Sheriff Posse until it disbanded. He was an active member of Trinity Presbyterian Church serving as Deacon, and later a member of Covenant Presbyterian Church. He was a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Freemason and member of Hella Shrine.

Jim married the love of his life, Winifred (Winnie) Davis in 1945 in West Palm Beach Florida. Their love affair lasted 65 years. To this union were born two children, Cynthia (Cindy) and Karl ((Buster). His son, Karl, and granddaughter, Mallory, preceded him in death.

Jim is survived by his wife, Winnie; his daughter and her husband, Cindy and James Allcorn of Paris; his daughter-in-law and her husband, Kerry and Mike Dreher of Keller, TX; his granddaughter and her husband Ann Marie and Andy Love of Dallas; his granddaughter and her husband, Audrey and Miles Mathieu of Tampa, FL; his granddaughter and her husband, Ashley and Joe Januszewski of Boston, MA; twelve great-grandchildren, nephew Alan Brown and a host of friends.

The family will receive friends from 4:00-5:00 PM Saturday at Waldo Funeral Home. The register book can be signed online at In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children in Dallas.

Jim is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

George E. Campbell

No Photo Available

June 1st, 2010 Received from Edwin Diehl.

Information From The Fayetteville Observer, Fayetteville, NC

Saturday, 11 April 1998


Retired Air Force Tech. Sgt. George Emil Campbell, 61, of 7522 Decatur Drive, Fayetteville, died Thursday in his home. George was in aircraft maintenance at Pleiku and DaNang.

The funeral was conducted at 11 a.m. Monday in Rogers & Breece Funeral Home chapel by Capt. Chuck Towery and the Rev. T.J. Fulk. Burial with full military honors will be in Cumberland Memorial Gardens.

Mr. Campbell is survived by his wife, Betty M. Campbell of the home; a son, Edward C. Campbell III of Luray, Va.; a daughter, Alice L. Campbell of Fayetteville; three brothers, Joseph Campbell, Daniel Campbell and Steven Campbell, all of Lynn, Mass.; two sisters, Lorilee Zanacky and Susan Zanacky, both of Peabody, Mass.; and six grandchildren.

George is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Kip C. Fields

No Photo Available

Just received today, June 24,2011 from Kevin Turner of Hanover, Indiana Email Address: [email protected]

I am sorry to report the passing on 6/21/11 of Kip C. Fields age 61. Kip was a member of 362nd TEWS and over 3 tours reached rank of staff sergeant. I was his employer and a close friend. Kip was proud of his service. He was also not often photographed. I would like to inquire if anyone has pictures of Kip during his service. Any would be appreciated and be given to his widow Connie Vogel Fields. Thank you.

Kip is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Lt. Col. David H. 'Dave' Eddy

No Photo Available

Lt. Col. David H. Eddy, USAF Retired, of Universal City, TX and Virginia Beach, VA passed away on June 14, 2011 after a short illness.

Lt. Col. Eddy was born Oct. 8, 1931 in Freeport, NY to Olin Wells and Susan Louise (Gates) Eddy. He attended Davis-Elkins College earning a Bachelors degree in Business Administration.

He then enlisted in the USAF and was assigned to the Aviation Cadet program at Lackland AFB. He Commissioned a 2nd Lt. and was sent to Navigator training at Harlingen AFB and was then assigned to the Strategic Air Command serving in the early days of the Cold War. Lt. Col. Eddy served for 26 years in various capacities, including three combat tours in Vietnam and two commands; the 6994th and 6916th Security Service Squadrons.

Most notable were his accomplishments during his years in the Airborne Radio Direction Finding or ARDF program, serving as a navigator, program manager, operations officer, and commander. He received awards including the Distinguished Flying Cross, two Bronze Stars, and 10 Air Medals. His final assignment prior to retirement was at the National Security Agency in Ft. Meade, MD.

As significant as his Air Force accomplishments were, David was equally known by his friends, family, and co-workers as an all-around super person. He was a genuinely caring person who befriended everyone quickly and easily. He deeply loved his four children and although critically ill, enjoyed having them together at his bedside remembering past days. Lt. Col. Eddy is survived by a sister, Eunice Ulrich and pre-deceased by a sister; Catherine Barton. Surviving him as well, are his four children, Mark Eddy and wife Lori, Bethann and husband Ray Dooley, Mary Eddy and David J. Eddy; grandchildren, Olin (Amy) Eddy, John (Heather) Eddy, Catherine Eddy, David A. Eddy, Meaghan Dooley, Hayden Dooley, Channing (Mark) ZuaZua, and Austin Eddy and great-grandchildren, Annaliese Eddy, Elizabeth Eddy, Abigail Eddy, Riley Bonnette, and Chance ZuaZua. Memorial Services for Lt. Col. Eddy will be conducted by Pastor Mike Gitchel at 3 PM on June 20th at the First Baptist Church of Universal City, TX. At his request, Lt. Col. Eddy’s ashes will be released at Cape Cod at a later date. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation in his memory to the Veteran’s Park, 1950 Universal City Blvd, Universal City, TX 78148.

Dave is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Major Charles J. Foreman

No Photo Available

Yesterday, December 26th, 2011 I received an email from the eldest son (Chuck Jr.) of Major Charles J. Foreman, one of ours, Aircraft Commander with the 361st TEWS at Nha Trang 1966/67. Then this morning December 27th, I received another from second son (Larry Foreman) that their father had passed away on December 13th, 2011 at the VA Hospice in Tucson, Arizona.

Per Email:
My father passed painless and peaceful around 8 AM at the VA hospice facility (a very nice place, to be sure) here in Tucson, Arizona. He was able to arouse himself, with the assistance of the staff there who bathed, dressed, and withheld some meds, for a wonderful luncheon with his friends here. It was a good thing for him and a memory I will have of him. His decline from then was rapid.

He has had his memorial: there will not be an obituary, lest one of his friends decide to publish one. His wish was that he be cremated and his remains sent to Arlington for burial with full honors, as is his due, aside his wife and my mother. The creamins will be sent to my brother and interned at such time as we can be there as a family.

Chuck is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.


Colonel John Griffith

No Photo Available

In a very sad note received from the daughter of Col. John Griffith, she told me of the passing of her father on the 8th of May, 2012 after being hit by an automobile that jumped the curb and hit him as he and his daughter were walking along the trail. He passed that night due to massive internal injuries and unsurvivable head wounds.

John was the Last Commander of the 360th TEWS and turned the unit over to the South Vietnamese. He has been a regular attendee at the Reunions and will certainly be missed by many that attend. I never met anyone who had anything but Good Things to say about John. Keep the family and the daughter in your prayers.

Services for John Griffith

Visitation, Cook-Walden Chapel of the Hills

Thursday, May 10, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.

Funeral Service, Bethany UMC Sanctuary

Friday, May 11, 10:00 a.m.

Burial to follow at Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery, Killeen, 1:00 p.m.

John is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Ralph Willard Brewer

No Photo Available Received word today, June 12, 2012 via Ed Diehl on the passing of Ralph Willard Brewer on June 8, 2010. Ralph was a Crew Chief with the 362nd TEWS at Danang from December, 1970 to December, 1971.

Ralph is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Drury "Nat" Helms

No Photo Available Also received word that Drury " Nat " Helms passed away June 20, 2012. Nat was one of the orginals ( maintenance ) known as one of the " dirty dozen " that helped set up Pleiku in August 1966. The activation started in August 1966 with the arrival of LC Jack A. Crook, plus twelve airman as the advanced cadre. Because of the hardships encountered and the ensuing grueling job of building a squardon starting from scratch, under adverse conditions, they became affectionately known as the " Dirty Dozen ". Pleiku was orginally Detachment One, 361st Reconnaissance Squadron, later changed to the 362nd TEWS.

"Nat" is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Drury "Nat" Helms

No Photo Available Also received word that Drury " Nat " Helms passed away June 20, 2012. Nat was one of the orginals ( maintenance ) known as one of the " dirty dozen " that helped set up Pleiku in August 1966. The activation started in August 1966 with the arrival of LC Jack A. Crook, plus twelve airman as the advanced cadre. Because of the hardships encountered and the ensuing grueling job of building a squardon starting from scratch, under adverse conditions, they became affectionately known as the " Dirty Dozen ". Pleiku was orginally Detachment One, 361st Reconnaissance Squadron, later changed to the 362nd TEWS.

"Nat" is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

David Lott

Received word today, August 14, 2012 via on the passing of SMSgt David Lott a Flight Mechanic with the 361st TEWS at Nha Trang 1967/68. David was aboard Brew 41 when it was shot down on March 11, 1968. David has attended every one of our reunions and will be truly missed in Reno. Visitation will be at Moore's Funeral Home in Jacksonville from 6 to 8 PM on August 16th with Burial in the North Little Rock Veterans Cemetary on August 17th with Full Military Honors.

David is now Among Ours Gone, May he forever rest in peace.

Return to Site Directory