Reunion 2008 Report

"Reunion Photos"

"Treasurer's Report"

"Meeting Minutes"

{{ Please scroll down, this page is pretty long. }}

Well, if you missed the reunion in San Antonio, September 26th, 27th and 28th you missed another great gathering of "Old Tigers". While the numbers were not quite as high as originally hoped we did have a good turn-out and filled every seat in the banquet hall.

As you know, this was the first time the reunion co-ordination was turned over to a Professional group. This group was "The Reunion Brat", who herself is a military brat. The Reunion Brat works Military Reunions across the U.S. and Europe.

While there were a couple of small concerns during the reunion, there were no stumbling blocks and all was taken care of quickly, we learned from them and they learned from us. The service of The Reunion Brat was of such that they were approved and will again be serving as co-ordinator for our next reunion and passed unamimously by the vote at the business meeting.

With that said, I have, and I hope you will join me in planning and preparing for "Florida". After 8 years of trying, I finally wrangled enough votes the swing a try at the Florida Panhandle. My reasoning was really 3-fold. At least those of us who were in the first "Unit Manning Document" of the early TEWS, and were the Ferry Flight Crews getting the aircraft to Vietnam, spent some time at Hurlburt AFB in the Fort Walton Beach and Destin area in Jungle and Water Survival in the Spring of 1966. WE, "The EC-47 Association", needed to give the folks living in the Southeast U.S. a reunion closer to home for them and finally, there are a number of Retiries in that part of the U.S.

On the sad side, for those of you who were not able to make the reunion, our speaker retired Col. John Griffith had to deal with the loss of his wife Mary just a week before the reunion. Flowers were sent by "The EC-47 Association" and Col. Griffith was able, without question, to continue and made a very interesting talk after the dinner. I also want to add that dispite the loss, he was able to have with him all but one family member who had planned to attend. He and his family and friends filled 3 tables, 30 seats. This reflected the closeness and strength of the family.

Page 2.

Reunion 2008 Report

For those of you who were at the Ceremony on Security Hill Friday, the site of the Memorial EC-47 Aircraft, by the Freedom Thru Vigilance Associance, "FTVA" to remember and honor those members of Security Service throughout the many years, you all know first hand of the Kick in the Stomach we, the Veterans who served in Combat in Vietnam felt at this annual ceremony. Those of you who were not in attendance, all I can say is tell you what we, the group as an entirity felt.

Despite having chosen a full 2 years ago, at Reunion 06 in Colorado, to have our EC-47 Reunion on the same weekend as the FTVA so our Backenders especially could attend some of their functions and/or visit with friends of U.S. Air Force Security Service, now of course going by another unit name. And despite the fact that there were some 75 or so former EC-47 Crewmembers, Back-Enders of the 6994th Security Squadron and Front-Enders from the Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadrons, sitting and standing more or less as a group, were completely either overlooked or ignored. This despite the fact that most were conspicously attired with hats, shirts and large Name Badges proudly displaying "The EC-47 Association Reunion". They knew well in advance, almost 2 years ago and all along that we were going to be there. Regardless whether or not we were going to be there, there were 17 of their own command men left out, men killed in Vietnam/Southeast Asia. We all felt and still feel that even if it was an error in planning, it was certainly evident at the ceremony that we were there and there was not any mention or referrence of us or even them, those 17 men of the 6994th Security Service lost while serving in Combat aboard Combat Missions in Vietnam.

Add to this the fact that one member of Detachment 2, 6994th himself shot down on Cap-53 and was rescued along with others including the crew of a film company shooting and working on a Documentary of the EC-47 mission in Vietnam and Southeast Asia were extended what I understand was a very informative briefing by those on Security Hill on Wednesday before the Friday ceremony.

Standing almost under the nose of the Memorial EC-47 aircraft in front of the Headquarters, a memorial to the first men lost, those men of the crew of Tide-86. Tide-86 was the first EC-47 shot down in "COMBAT" on March 9th, 1967 with the loss of seven men, three of them from Detachment 1, 6994th Security Squadron, Air Force Security Service and the four men from the 361st Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron, both units at Nha Trang AB, Vietnam.

A very lenghty list of former members of Air Force Security Service, under various names was read. These include those lost in flight including their aircraft, and all those members who have passed on as there life played out. There was only a very lightly mention of the EC-47 and this was by the Chaplin and this did not include any mention of loss nor did it include any name of any of those we lost during our 8 year mission. This was a blow to all of The EC-47 Association but was especially difficult for those backenders of the EC-47. And to go even deeper on the hurt scale was the fact that we had children of some of those men lost in attendance.

Dispite the fact that this is an annual ceremony held each year at the EC-47 Memorial, a C-47 depicting the first EC-47 Loss, Tide-86 aircraft number 43-49201, displayed on the tail of this memorial aircraft, and the fact that there were 36 men from the EC-47 Mission lost and 17 of these were from Air Force Security Service and that in fact 3 of these former and evidently forgotten, members of Air Force Security Service were lost on the very aircraft depicted by this memorial were ommited from this long proud list of men lost.

I can assure you, there will be more than one letter written by various persons to address this injustice to the men lost and especially those 17 men of the 6994th Security Squadron and more especially to those who were lost on this memorial aircraft. I am sure you can feel the deep wound of being there and knowing that their father had paid with his life to fulfill a mission that was of greatest importance to every man serving in Vietnam was forgotten, a mission which without question prevented great loss of Life, probably untold thousands of men from all branches of the military of not only the United States but other countries military as well.

J.C.

Page 3.

Reunion 2008 Report

Emails to/from the FTVA about Reunion 2008

 ----- Original Message -----=20

From: "J.C. Wheeler"
To: "Bob Crabtree"
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:47:12 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0069_01C6DAFF.0876B1F0

Thanks for the info Bob.

J.C. Wheeler
Signature of:  J.C. Wheeler,  The EC-47 History Site.